Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The First Set of Goals

I may not have the structure of my Happiness Project figured out yet, but that doesn't mean I should wait to write down my goals. In Gretchen Rubin's book, The Happiness Project, she has a theme for each month and then makes related goals for that month. Ideally, that is what my Happiness Project will look like too. However, because I haven't laid that structure out yet, I will start with my theme for the summer, and the corresponding goals.

Resolution: Enjoy my surroundings.

Goals:
  • Move downtown. Currently, I live right in the heart of the valley (seriously, I'm a mix of Darboy, Kaukauna, Kimberly, Appleton, and Buchanan). I live in an 1,100 sq.ft. 2 bedroom apartment...alone. It is 2.6 miles to Target, Festival, and MotoMart, 6.3 miles to Copper Rock, and 6.6 miles to work. Add that all up...and it just doesn't make sense for me to live there anymore. So, first goal: find a rental unit within walking/biking distance to downtown and work.  UPDATE: This goal is unofficially complete! I signed a lease today! Just a few blocks from downtown and less than 2 miles from work. SO excited.
  • Buy local. I feel that I am fairly conscious about buying local already, but moving downtown will further enhance this practice as I will be closer to the local shops I already frequent and to the shops I'd like to frequent. Here is a link from Appleton Downtown, Inc's website about shopping local: Give Your Community a Reason to Shop Local. Another part of this goal includes the farmer's market in downtown Appleton. I want to make an effort to go to the market every Saturday that I am available. My fun spin-off on that goal: try a new local-made salsa every week. YUM.
  • Get involved. I've already started the process of achieving this goal. The way I see it, if I'm going to live in this community and enjoy all the benefits and activities that it has to offer, I better be doing my part. I currently have three potential opportunities lined up: I have attended 2 Appleton Fox Cities Kiwanis Club meetings and have now been invited to apply for membership, I am in the process of joining the Appleton Downtown Rotary Club, and I have expressed interest in volunteering with Appleton Downtown, Inc (for their Thursday concert series, and also possibly on a committee). Kiwanis and Rotary will provide excellent opportunities to get involved in service projects in the community and volunteering with ADI is my way of giving back to the organization that provides much of my summer fun in Appleton.
So there it is. My first set of goals. Are they extraordinary? No. But will they lead to a greater sense of happiness in my life? Absolutely. And that is, after all, the point of this project. I'm sure I will add more as I define the structure of my Happiness Project in the coming weeks. But let me tell you, just getting these down on paper (side note: are there 21st century colloquialisms? Because I keep using paper/pencil phrases, when in actuality - I am typing.) feels amazing.