Monday, January 9, 2012

2012 Goals...As Promised

A few posts back I said my goal was to have 2 or 3 goals done by the end of the holiday season. Well, the end is here. And I have a couple new goals!

Live With Intention. This one is based on one of my favorite quotes:
"Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is." - Mary Ann Radmacher 
I know. It is a pretty hefty goal, with a lot to it. But in its most basic form...it just means living for me. And that's what 2012 is going to be about. I'm not going to let other people call the shots in my life, I will be the only person in control of my emotions and my actions and I will have fun and live as if this is all there is. How will I measure this? I think the most important thing that will come from this goal is an increased self-awareness. I will need to be very in tune with how I'm feeling about my decisions and choices and actions. If I'm happy with what I'm doing, I'm succeeding. Easy enough.

Be Well. Another broad goal, but with little pieces that I can measure individually.
  • Eat better, live better. I saw a pin this weekend that said something along the lines of "If your food can go bad, it is good for you. If your food can't go bad, it is bad for you." That makes a lot of sense. I am lucky in that I really LOVE fruits and vegetables. And I don't need them dipped or dressed in anything. I love to eat just raw, naked fruits and vegetables. I could eat them at every meal and be happy. However, I don't do it that often. But I'm going to make an effort to revamp my diet a bit. I don't really believe in diets - I think they're hard to follow which makes it stressful and then it doesn't last long. What I'm looking at doing is changing my eating habits. I'm not looking at it as a diet, if I want to have a cheeseburger, I'm still going to eat a cheeseburger. I'm just going to be more conscious about these decisions and I'm not going to have bad options for me at home. I've already started this in some ways. I try to be local as often as possible. Yes, in some cases I mean REALLY local...at the farmers market. But even at the grocery store, I try to stick with produce that was produces in the US. Not because I think our food is particularly better, but because it is fresher and it hasn't polluted the environment through travel from South America, etc. I have also been on an organic kick lately. A little pricier, but really, this is my health and body we're talking about...I'm worth it.
  • Start the day right. I am on day 2 of waking up a little earlier to do some core workouts. Truthfully, it has only been about 10 minutes, but I had to start (again) somewhere. It has been exciting to feel pain in my abs again. And I love that it gives me a certain boost of energy right away in the morning. I hardly needed my coffee this morning but I am not at a point of breaking that habit yet :)
  • Get outside. I stopped at High Cliff State Park on Sunday to buy my 2012 park sticker and pick up JB & D's sticker. It was a gorgeous day for January: 32* and super sunny, so I drove through the park with my windows cracked and then parked at the beach lot. I got out of my car, walked down to the beach and just took a deep breath. It was lovely. There is something about fresh air that just refreshes me. So why not indulge myself with more of that natural high, more often? I have snow shoes, cross country skis, and (soon) ice cleats. I'm set for a multitude of outdoor activities and I plan to utilize what I have! And maybe even try some new things to put those endorphins into over drive.
So there they are. Nothing mind-blowing or earth-shattering, but these goals are going to help me build on the foundation I've started and make any future goals easier for me to follow. I'm looking forward to 2012...continuing with my 2011 goals and adding these couple. Hopefully in a few months I will be at a place where these have become habit and I can start adding more goals.