Monday, August 13, 2012

Life as an RD, Part 1: Embarrassing

I'll have to laugh myself to sleep tonight
 It looks like I get to begin my journey of documenting my life in this position a little earlier than expected.

Here's the scene: I'm in bed, reading. It's getting to the point where I'm ready to turn the light out and call it a night. But then I hear car doors slam and voices that sound fairly close. I put down my book and focus on the noises. Was that the front door? Is that a phone ringing? Where are these voices? They're getting closer, I duck down out of sight. And then I hear an "Excuse me?" I pull myself up just enough for my head to be in the window "...Yeah?" They go on to explain that they're former students here to pick up their mail, so I say I'll meet them around front.

After awkward introductions and a stumbling conversation, they're out the door with their mail and I'm back in bed.

Lessons learned: lights off. blinds closed. pajamas.

Oh, and apparently the doorbell doesn't work. And there's a phone in the foyer. Both good to know.

I hope they didn't leave and immediately text the returners to tell them how awkward I am...I swear I'm normal in the morning.