Saturday, November 3, 2012

Weekend Project

This project has been in the works for over a year. I acquired the corks last summer knowing that I wanted to use them for a table top, among other things. However, it took until this summer to finally get the perfect table! Even then it wast easy: my coworker actually handmade the table from scraps from our warehouse. This is a truly one of a kind table! Awesome...but also makes painting complicated. It was made from a mix of finished and unfinished wood. Made sanding an interesting task ;)
Anyhow...this was so much easier than I anticipated! I had read a few other blogs on how to paint wood, so I knew the most important part was to rough it up - especially the finished wood. I knew going into this project that I was going to love the imperfections. If I didn't maintain that attitude, I'd be disappointed with the end result. So I did my best with the sanding, just worked it until most of the 'shine' on the finish was gone. I used a tack cloth to wipe up all of the dust.

Luckily, the lady at Sherwin Williams understood my project and was able to choose appropriate paint for it, including self leveling paint. I did a really fast prime job, just because I was impatient and wanted to get to the fun steps. I also knew that once the corks went on, the actually table top wouldn't be visible except a little bit peeking through the corks, so I was able to get that part done easily. I took a lot more time on the edges and legs. I only did one coat of the primer, but two (plus additional touch ups) of the green.

And that's where I am now. I'll update with the final product once I have the corks on it!