Friday, January 11, 2013

#30daysofthanks

I meant to do this on the blog during November, but ended up doing it only on Facebook. This is my way of making up for that. It is also for my own use - to keep these thoughts fresh as I go through less than ideal situations.

DAY 1) I am thankful for happy thoughts on cloudy days.

DAY 2) I'm thankful for a weekend project to lift my spirits.

DAY 3) I'm thankful for the ABC boys. I had a pretty awful week, but spending some lazy time with them yesterday and today lifted me right up. I could go on and on about them, but really can't even find the words to explain it all. I am so thankful for this opportunity, for all that I'm learning (and teaching), for all that I get to experience. It can be testing at time, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

DAY 4) I'm thankful for best friends. Those that, even after weeks of not seeing each other, we can pick up like we never left. I don't have a lot of really good friends, but these two...I am so thankful for, and can't ever express it. Again, a horrible week is made better because of those I love. Days like these make it easy to feel blessed.

DAY 5) I am thankful for my pastor. (Yes, you, Mike) I am thankful for the almost year-long process that I was blessed to be a part of in search of a new pastor for MPC, and I am thankful that the spirit spoke the same thing to Mike as it did to the nominating committee. I am incredibly grateful for the role he has played in my life - for challenging me, believing in me, and praying for me (I think that's a safe assumption!). But above all, I am thankful for his leadership at MPC, and for the future that we will all have together at such an amazing church. My heart is so full today.

DAY 6) I am thankful that the government will leave my uterus alone for at least another 4 years :)

In all seriousness, I am so thankful to live in a country that allows free speech, freedom of opinion, and the right to vote. Election Day is a day to be thankful, regardless of the results.

DAY 7) I am thankful for the changing of the seasons. Even this gloomy, kind of awkward, phase between fall and winter. I am thankful for the beauty that I find in nature, and the peace it brings.

DAY 9) I am thankful for a cute manicure, spiced chai, Friday, and good advice.

DAY 10) I am thankful for my desire and ability to learn - about my work, my world, and myself. I believe there is something to learn every day and I am grateful for those opportunities.

DAY 11) I am thankful for all of the men and women who have served, are serving, and will serve our country. On this Veterans Day, I am especially thankful that those who are brave enough to serve can be who they are and be open about who they love while they serve. I am so very proud of this country, and personally thankful to my friends and family members who have fought to keep us safe.

DAY 12) I am thankful for my two wonderful brothers. We may not always get along, and we definitely don't talk as often as we should...but I have to admit, they're pretty good guys. Love you two :)

DAY 13) I am thankful for the current, future, and past opportunities I have/had for personal and professional growth and development. As George Bernard Shaw put it: "Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." I am thankful for every experience that allows me to create a new piece of myself.

DAY 14) I am thankful for Appleton. There is just something about this city that has me feeling a little bit giddy...

DAY 15) I am thankful for the direction my life journey is going lately. Some interesting people and situations have come about and I am eager (though, admittedly a little scared) to see what lies ahead for me. I am especially thankful for the people I have in my life right now to talk about this journey and to serve as guides. Today was incredibly overwhelming, but it lit a spark and I am so thankful for that timing.

DAY 16) I am thankful for a weekend full of plans to catch up on sleep, reading, chores, and emails.

DAY 17) I am thankful for two of the best men in my life: my dad and my older brother. Happy birthday you two! Love you :)

DAY 18) I am thankful for goals, and for plans to meet those goals. There is something to be said for beginning with the end in mind...I know exactly what I want to accomplish and I am determined to get there.

DAY 19) I am thankful that life is keeping me on my toes. Wouldn't want me to get too comfortable or bored, I suppose.

DAY 20) I am thankful that my long weekend of food, family, and rejuvenation starts tomorrow!

DAY 21) I am thankful for the spirit of the holidays, shown downtown through the gorgeous display of lights, but also felt through the company of family. I really do love this time of year! (Now if only Mother Nature would get it together and give us some fluffy white snow!!!)

DAY 22) I'm thankful to have such a great family to spend this day with. Brothers, cousins, aunts & uncles...I have the best family.

DAY 23) I am thankful for the great friends I have in my life. From those I talk to every day, to the ones I only catch up with once a year. I am grateful to have such amazing friendships that have lasted through so many of life's weird twists & turns. I am grateful for all I've learned and experienced with and through my friends. I'm a lucky girl :)

DAY 24) I am thankful for a wonderfully busy holiday weekend, but also for a day to just "be" tomorrow.

DAY 25) I'm thankful for all of the memories behind this and especially thankful for all of the people with me to make them :)

DAY 26) I am thankful for words of encouragement and hope. 

DAY 27) I am thankful for gentle nudges that keep me on track with personal goals. As I read in the Alchemist, once you decide you want something, the universe conspires to make it happen. I'm seeing glimpses of that lately and it is restoring my faith.

DAY 28) I'm thankful for the photo below (BFF chats on a Wednesday night). I know the ABC boys were already listed in my #30daysofthanks, but I feel the need to say it again. This experience has taught, and continues to teach me, so much more about myself and the world we live in than I could have ever expected. I am so grateful for every one of them, and for the role they're playing in my life journey.

DAY 29) I am thankful for a busy, fun-filled weekend ahead. An added bonus is the sentimental energy I feel as one of the ABC boys goes on stage as the lead in the play at West this weekend. As I sat in the auditorium tonight, I took in all of the familiar sights and sounds of opening night. Theatre was my absolute passion in high school and I am so grateful that I get to "relive" that excitement through Reuben.

DAY 30) Looking back at my #30daysofthanks posts definitely makes me grateful for so many aspects of my life. Between life lessons, role models, friends, family, and opportunities, I am incredibly blessed. But today, I am thankful for my mom. She is my best friend and constant solid ground, always there when I need her: to play cards and laugh, to vent and cry, and just to talk about life's happenings. I don't know where I would be without her and I am thankful for her every single day. Love you, mom :)


top row - day29:Reuben's Play//day26//day28:mervin&reuben
middle row - day12:siblings//day20:downtown//day3:obama rally
bottom row - day9//day4:stacey&jb//day25:bazils