Friday, January 25, 2013

Ode to Peanut Butter


Yes. It has come to this. I am dedicating an entire post to my peanut butter obsession. And no, using that word is not an exaggeration.

As I mentioned in this post, I have been on an apple with peanut butter kick for a few months now. Also as I mentioned, this has increased my peanut butter consumption from about one jar per year to one jar per week. Let's pretend we didn't just add up how much this obsession is costing me, ok? Right.

I suppose this post is mostly for my own validation, but also to spread the peanut butter love (pun definitely intended). Especially now that I'm back into a regular fitness routine, peanut butter can absolutely be my guilt-free best friend.

Here are some facts from a Prevention article I found.

-People who eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter at least 5 days a week can lower their risk of developing diabetes by almost 30%
-It is filling. With 2g of fiber and 8g of protein, two tablespoons can go a long way.
-It helps you stave off cravings. Peanut butter has some natural sweetness to it so you can have a spoonful of it instead of a bowl of ice cream. You get your craving met and don't throw your diet off of wack. Win-win.
-Plus a bunch of science stuff I don't really understand any further than knowing it is a source of "healthy" fat, the potassium balances out the sodium.

Basically, this obsession is not ending, and I no longer feel bad about that.