Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sacrifice

As has happened many other times in my life, I picked up a book, seemingly at random, and am being completely moved by it. 

I have a huge decision to make in the next few months. Depending on how I look at it, it is either a lose/lose situation, or a win/win situation. Either way, a sacrifice must be made. I have had a rough time with this. Until today, when I read this, from Mitch Albom's "The Five People You Meet in Heaven."

"'Sacrifice,' the captain said. "You made one. I made one. We all make them. But you were angry over yours. You kept thinking about what you lost.

"You didn't get it. Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to. Little sacrifices. Big sacrifices. A mother works so her son can go to school. A daughter moves home to take care of her sick father.'"

And so it is. This choice, the decision between which sacrifice to make, it is important, it is vital for me to learn and grow and live.