Thursday, July 18, 2013

Why I'm Leaving

I get this question a lot. More often from some than others. But I think it's a fair question, and I feel I have a very reasonable explanation. Even though I don't actually think I need to say more than "because I want to!"

I have fantastic people, relationships and friendships in my life. I have a home here, multiple really. I have a job. I have good connections. 

But...I'm leaving. Why?

I didn't go to Europe. I didn't go in college and I didn't go this summer. It's time to stop dwelling on that and take action. I regret not studying abroad and not traveling when I wanted to. I'm not going to let myself regret not living outside of Wisconsin. 

I crave an adventure. Sure, I can find/make adventure here. But it's still safe adventure. As long as I am this close to home, and to the amazing support system that I have in friends/family, failing is easy. While I have learned a decent amount of independence in the last 5 years, I feel like I hit a plateau, and the only way to get over it is to push beyond my comfort zone and leave my safety net behind.

I feel stuck. Am I happy with life, right here in this moment? Sure. I really don't have many complaints. But like my independence plateau, I feel like I have hit a solid life/career plateau as well. I'm in the middle (exactly!!!) of my masters program, right in between switching careers. I really don't feel like I can reach my potential here. I feel like I will always be held down by some invisible ceiling. Likely built by me. So I need to go somewhere that doesn't have expectations or preconceived notions of who/what I am. And that includes my own thoughts of myself.

It's time for a change, and this just feels right. Do you ever get that feeling? That little voice, flutter of your heart, and peace of mind that tells you 'yes, that is the right path for you'. Yup. I'm following that. It's led me to really difficult places before, but also to really fantastic places. In both cases, it's always turned out for the best, and I don't doubt it will now!