Monday, May 12, 2014

{Monday Inspiration} Mike Rowe's Job Advice

From Mike's Facebook Page

Well, lookie here! I am starting my own little series on this blog of mine.

Slowly, but surely, I'm determined to make this space of mine more organized. As I get ready to start the next chapter in my life, one that I am certain will be exciting and filled with all sorts of fun changes, I want to be able to document it all. I love looking back on blog posts and remembering moments in time. 

In order to make blogging more of a habit, I'm going to try to do different series so I always have something to write about. Starting today, Monday posts will share something that has been inspiring to me.

This week's inspiration comes from none other than Mike Rowe, of Dirty Jobs fame. A fan asked Mike for advice on finding the right career for himself. Mike's response is honest, realistic, and to the point. As I currently spend a few hours a day applying for jobs, I appreciate this perspective. I may not find a career in my field right away, the first job I get back in Wisconsin may not be "fulfilling" in the way I hope, but if we're being honest, what I really need right now is financial stability, not pure bliss in a career. 

My favorite excerpt from the response:
Stop looking for the “right” career, and start looking for a job. Any job. Forget about what you like. Focus on what’s available. Get yourself hired. Show up early. Stay late. Volunteer for the scut work. Become indispensable. You can always quit later, and be no worse off than you are today. But don’t waste another year looking for a career that doesn’t exist. And most of all, stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that’s consistent with those beliefs.
 Full story here.