Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Growing Through It


I saw this quote the other day and it seemed so fitting. You don't always notice it in the day-to-day, or when you go through something good. But when it's a bad experience? It's probably more obvious. 

I'm in an interesting position that includes both a good experience (new job, new city) and not so great experience (heartbreak). This is going to sound crazy, but I'm actually thankful for the heartbreak because it is forcing me to be conscious of how I am feeling and allowing me to learn and grow through it. 

So, what am I learning?

- A trip down to the river with a good book is guaranteed to boost my mood
- On good days, I'm happy to spend time alone 
- But on a bad day? I prefer to be around people, even if that just means going out to grab a bit to eat
- That little things can make even the worst day better: a call from my mom, a card from a PEO sister, an encouraging text from a friend telling me I'm doing so great 
- Being single allows me give myself fully to my new situation, something I don't think I would have done otherwise 
- I have, in fact, learned from the past
- I have a reserve of strength somewhere in me that I didn't even know was there

Do these make the emotions of a heartbreak easier? Not necessarily. But they give me confidence as a strong, independent, single woman. And that gives me a better, healthier attitude.