Thursday, July 24, 2014

Making it Official: My Single Pledge



This post is going to be a total deviation from my norm on this blog. But I want to use it as a place to record my experiences and feelings as I embark on a new personal journey. I mean, that's what this blog is for, right? I've had people send me messages after posting certain things, saying that it was exactly what they needed to hear, or that it somehow made a difference to them. It's never my intention to write something with that kind of meaning, but the fact that it happens means so much to me! And I think sharing this new journey of mine may touch people who read this. Then again, maybe it won't. But I know that it will be good for me. 

So, what's this new journey I'm talking about? I am officially taking the rest of 2014 off from dating. Yup. No dating for 6 months (backdated to when I became single again). I'm not saying I've had any offers or that I intend to in the next six months, only that I will not be intentionally seeking any dates. 

Why cut such an excruciatingly painful, time-consuming, frustrating experience out of my life? (Kidding about that description, by the way...mostly.) A few reasons are behind this:

1) I'm in a new job, in my dream field. I want to take the next six months, at least, to really soak up as much knowledge as I can. Universities are such complex organizations, and I want to learn everything I can about this environment. That, and I want to focus on being amazing in my position. 

2) On that note, life is about to get really busy for me. I supervise a student staff of 11, directly oversee buildings that house roughly 350 residents, and am indirectly involved with 9 more student staff and 350 residents. I also have 24-hour on-call  duty two nights per week and every other weekend. Add to that attending any programs my staff put on, events on campus, and still maintaining a life of my own and there just isn't room for dating. Esoecially not if I want the other areas of my life to receive their full share of attention. 

3) I've been hurt and disillusioned. I'm going to be completely honest, my ability to trust another person, let alone my own feelings, took a major beating recently. Jumping into anything too soon is a recipe for disaster. I want to take the time necessary to heal and rebuild my trust in myself.

4) And finally, I'm sick of dating and I just want to take a break. 

And with that, here's to the second half of 2014 being dateless...and totally ok with it!